Leanne Berelowitz is a ceramic artist based in Sydney. Born and raised in South Africa, she lived in Israel for 10 years, and moved to Australia in 2005. A former intensive care nurse, she transitioned to ceramics after travels in London awakened her interest in art. Leanne studied Fine Arts at Bezalel Academy in Jerusalem, and a Masters of Cross-Disciplinary Art and Design at UNSW in Sydney. She has been teaching ceramics since 2008 in Bondi.
Kept busy raising a family, developing her art and managing the demands of daily life, Leanne draws inspiration from everywhere around her- family, natural and built environments, current culture, politics. With an experimental approach, she uses clay to play with lines, thickness and negative space to explore forms that are simultaneously grounded and in motion. Themes of balance and movement flow through her sculptures that weave, twist and connect in rhythmic patterns.
- 2013 Master of Cross-Disciplinary Art and Design, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia.
- 2003 Bachelor of Fine Art (Ceramics & Glass), Bezalel Academy of Art & Design, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1997 Graduate Certificate Intensive Care Nursing, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1992 Diploma Registered Nurse and Midwife, BGA Nursing College, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2020 HarbourSculpture, Balmain Rowing Club, Sydney.
- 2020 Biblio Art Prize, Blarney Books & Art, Online.
- 2020 ABC Community 2020: works by Jewish artists, B’nai B’rith Centre, Sydney.
- 2019 Dip Roll & Turn, Bondi Pavilion Gallery, Sydney.
- 2017 Breathe into Life, Bondi Pavilion Gallery, Sydney.
- 2015 East/West of Eden: Day of Jewish Culture and Heritage, B’nai B’rith Centre, Sydney.
- 2015 BeLonging: Embodied Commentaries Inspired by Place, ANU SoA Foyer Gallery, Canberra.
- 2015 Art Moments, Art Moment Gallery, Bondi, Sydney.
- 2014 Claypool Group Ceramics, Dickerson Gallery Woollahra, Sydney.
- 2014 Teachers 2014: Work by Ceramics Teachers in Sydney, Kerrie Lowe Gallery, Sydney.
- 2014 Love Moments, Art Moment Gallery, Bondi, Sydney.
- 2014 Tipi Responses, Macleay Valley Gallery, Gladstone.
- 2011 Birdbrain, Pop Up National Institute of Experimental Arts, The Rocks, Sydney.
- 2008 Clayful, Bondi Pavilion Gallery, Sydney.
- 2007 Seaside Ceramics, Bondi Pavilion Gallery, Sydney.
- 2004 Israel Festival Mixed Media, Jerusalem Theatre, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 2019 Ceramic Trophy Cock-A-Hoop Regatta, Sydney.
- 2018 Porcelain Imprinted Vessel, private residence, Sydney.
- 2013 Terracotta Vessels, collaboration with Artduo, private residence, Sydney.
- 2012 Ceramic Wall Installation, collaboration with Artduo Art Consultancy, restaurant, Sentosa Island, Singapore.
- 2021 Online Writing Clinic: Creative Non-Fiction, with writer Ellena Savage, in progress.
- 2020 ‘Going Deeper’ Writing Program for Artists, Craftspeople & Makers, with Amy Kennedy.
- 2020 Evolve 6-month Mentoring Program for Visual Artists, with artist Amy Kennedy.
Publications & Media
- 2011 Julie Shea and Leanne Berelowitz: Birdbrain, National Institute for Experimental Arts.
- 2003 Israel Design Graduate Survey, At Magazine 514. p.138-139
- 2016 Opening Speaker, Pottery at the Pavilion Exhibition, Bondi Pavilion, Sydney.
- 2011 Presenter, National Institute of Experimental Arts, Pop Up Exhibition, The Rocks, Sydney
- The Australian Ceramics Association
- 2013 – present Ceramic Artist, self-employed, Sydney.
- 2018 – present Pottery Workshop Facilitator, Classbento, Sydney.
- 2013 –present Freelance Facilitator, workshops combining clay and storytelling.
- 2009 –2020 Ceramics Tutor, Bondi Pavilion Cultural Centre, Sydney.
- 2011 – 2011 Facilitator, Interactive creativity workshops, Magnolia Centre, Sydney.
- 1995 – 2000 Registered Nurse, Hadassah Hospital Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel.