|Dimensions||14 × 14 × 58 cm|
Contact Details: mobile no. +61413 135 928
web address www.peterlewissculptor.com
Medium – Sculpture : sandstone, marble, onyx, bronze, stainless steel, resin, glass, ceramics and wood.
Painting : oils, acrylics, pencil, charcoal and pastels
I like to explore things around me and find new ways to express them as sensual energy in abstract and figurative forms.
My interest in painting and sculpture developed without conscious effort in very early childhood whilst growing up in India. I had opportunities arise during my school years for a number of art projects, stage set design and commission request from family and friends.
In later life whilst busy raising a family in Australia, I pursued a full time career in corporate sector managing office interior design/property management. During this time my art was a passionate hobby. I obtained a Diploma in Fine Arts at Tafe, majoring in sculpture with a view to eventually becoming an artist and sculptor.
I gave up corporate work in my mid-fifties to become a full time sculptor when I was offered an opportunity to commence a four-month assignment with Crawford’s Casting art foundry in Sydney. I was part of a bronze casting team responsible for the production of the Kiwi Anzac soldier by sculptor Alan Somerville that stands on Anzac Bridge, Sydney.
1997 Private commission for several paintings of cockatoos by Maralyn Miller of Balgowlah
- 2007 Private commission for a sandstone carving ‘Passion’
- 2009 Private commission for a large rock carving ‘Twins’ by Joe Abraham
- 2012 Public commission for a life size bronze German Shepherd Dog for the Police K9 Memorial, Tahmoor, NSW.
- 2014 Public commission. Worked jointly with sculptor, Susann Taylor on a 3.5m tall stainless steel abstract sculpture for Green Square School, Sydney unveiled September 2014 by Sydney Mayor, Clover Moore
- 2016 Public commission by the Holy Cross College, Ryde, Sydney for a 3m tall contemporary bronze relief sculpture of St Patrick. The main icon is supported by four smaller bronze icons depicting his life story. This work is entitled ‘The Story of St Patrick’ and was unveiled on St Patrick’s Day 2016 (17th March 2016)
- 2019 Public commission by St Bernard’s College, Essendon, Victoria for a perpetual bronze trophy of a St Bernard’s Dog
Diploma in Fine Arts (majoring in sculpture) – East Sydney, Randwick and Meadowbank Tafe
Short Course in Bronze Casting – National Art School
Short Course in Glass Casting – Brenda Page
Four months work experience at Crawford’s Casting, Bronze Art Foundry, Sydney.
Two year free-form ceramic course at Western Sydney Tafe, Kingswood
One year scholarship with Tom Bass Sculpture School Studio for Emerging Sculptor Program.
Prizes and Awards
I have won a number of prizes over the years, including first prizes at the Willoughby City Council Art Prize, The Central Coast Festival Sculpture Prize, Sculpture Forbes NSW, Darling Park Sydney and RAS Art Show Sydney.
I have participated at group exhibitions in Sydney and regional NSW. Some of these include the Sculptor’s Society Exhibitions (Sydney); Blacktown City Council, Bowral Art Show, Central Coast Arts Festival (Wyong); Sculpture Forbes NSW; Gallery Café (Surry Hills); The Milk Factory (Bowral); NSW Parliament House (Sydney); Royal Easter Show (Sydney); Sauc Gallery (Surry Hills); Thursday Plantation Sculpture Exhibition (Ballina) and Willoughby City Council (N.Sydney).