enjoy delving into the Artist's Biographies
Ulan Murray & Rachel Burns
Ulan Murray and Rachel Burns have been living together and working collaboratively for over 20 years. During this time they have developed a deep trust an understanding of each other’s language and perspectives. Between them they combine Ulan’s interest in biology and horticulture and Rachel’s Fine Arts background.
Selected Awards and Prizes
- Nan Tien Commendation Award
- Winery Choice Award. Yering Sculpture prize
- Montsalvat Outdoor Sculpture Award. Yering Sculpture prize
- Winner of People’s Choice Award Sculpture in the Valley, Kangaroo Valley
- Winner of People’s Choice Award Bermagui Sculpture, Bermagui.
- Winner of People’s Choice Award Lakes Light Sculpture, Jindabyne.
- Scientists Choice Award, Waterhouse Art Prize. South Australia Museum, Adelaide.
- People’s Choice Dr Wendy Wickes Memoriam Prize, Waterhouse Art Prize. South Australia Museum, Adelaide.
- Winner Sculpture Prize, Hunters Hill Art Exhibition.
- Finalist Wynne Prize. Art Gallery NSW, Sydney
- Winner of the Dame Elizabeth Murdoch Sculpture Award.
- Winner of Sculpture Prize. North Sydney Art Prize.
- Winner of Now Art Prize, Shaolhaven Arts Centre
- Winner of the Worrowing Studio Residency Prize, Jervis Bay.
- Winner of the Australian National University Residency Prize. Lakes Light. Sculpture, Jindabyne.
- Grafton Regional Gallery
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery
- Price Waterhouse Coopers Legal
- Wollongong University Permanent Collection
- 1997 Artist in Residence, Wollongong City Gallery
- 1995 Yirikala Aboriginal Community, Northern Territory
- 1996 Coen Community Artist, Queensland
Selected Solo Exhibition
- 2020 Aro Gallery, Darlinghurst, Sydney
- 2018 Aro Gallery, Darlinghurst, Sydney
- 2016 The Depot Gallery. Waterloo, Sydney.
- 2011 Sydney, Hunter’s Hill
- 2010 Ivy Hill Gallery, Wapengo, NSW
- 2007 Maunsell Wickes at Barry Stern, Sydney
- 1989 – 1994 Bachelor of Creative Arts (Hons), Wollongong University
- 1987 – 1988 Bachelor of Fine Arts. Sydney University
- 1992-1995 Bachelor of Biology. Wollongong University.
- 1989-1990 Diploma of Horticulture. Illawarra Institute of Technology.
- South Coast Style Summer 2020
- Look Magazine 2019
- Art Guide November 2016
- Craft International. September 2012
- Australian Art Collector 2011
- Art Almanac October 2010
- Australian House and Garden, June 2005
- The Sydney Morning Herald, September 2003
- The Sydney Morning Herald, July 2002
- Art and Australia, Vol. 38. No.3, 2002