I am a ceramic artist and have been practicing and exhibiting in the Newcastle area for the last 12 years. I graduated from the University of Newcastle with a Bachelor of Fine Art, Honours (ceramics), in 2010.
Most of my ceramic sculptures are inspired by my natural environment, the shapes, forms, colours and textures of the Australian landscape. I enjoy working with clay because of its versatility and the tactile processes of forming and making the works. I love to make pieces that can be put back into the landscape which has inspired them. Always looking at the plants and land formations around me, I strive to expose the hidden beauty in a captivating way.
I was employed at the university of Newcastle as technical officer in the ceramics Studios for 9 years, (ending in 2019), where I was able to indulge and share my enthusiasm for working with clay with others. .
I have lengthy experience in producing both functional and sculptural work for indoor and outdoor use. And have produced work on a commission basis for the university of Newcastle and private collectors.
I am a member and tutor at the Newcastle Studio Potters workshop in Cooks Hill. I have been a resident of lake Macquarie for 25 years and frequently use the lake, beaches and bushland areas as inspiration for my artmaking practice.
Recent Select Exhibitions/Experience
- 2021 Six-Reflections, Back to Back Galleries Newcastle NSW
- 2021 Painters Ink 21, Art Systems Wickham
- 2020 Reconnect-A Recovery Story, MAC Lake Macquarie NSW
- 2020 Shelf Life, Back to Back Galleries, Newcastle NSW
- 2019 Sculpture on the farm, Dungog NSW
- 2013-2020 Sculpture in the Vineyards, Wollombi NSW (2017 Emerging Artist Prize)
- 2019 From the land, Duck rabbit gallery Redfern NSW (presented by Gallery 139)
- 2019 Tabula Rasa, Back to Back Galleries, Newcastle NSW
- 2016-2019 Inspired Hunter Valley Grammar School, Maitland NSW
- 2018 Sprung, Gallery 139, Hamilton NSW
- 2018 Memoranda the University of Newcastle Gallery NSW
- 2018 Between the lines, Back to Back Galleries, Newcastle NSW
- 2017 Hill country, Acrux Gallery Hamilton NSW
- 2017 Artisans in the Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney NSW
- 2017 Artist in residence, Undercliff winery, Wollombi NSW
- 2013-2016 Sculpture on the Greens, Kooinda Waters , Wyong NSW
- 2016 Beyond the Text, Back to Back Galleries, Newcastle.
- 2014 The Bigger Picture, Back to Back Galleries, Newcastle.
- 2014 Transformations the University Gallery, University of Newcastle, NSW
- 2011-2013 Hunter Region Botanic Gardens Annual Sculpture Prize, Heatherbrae, NSW
- 2012 Drawing from Experience, John Paynter Gallery, The Lock-up Cultural Centre, Newcastle.
- 2011 The Nature of Beauty / The Beauty of Nature, Back to Back Gallery, Newcastle
- 2011 Finalist (3D), Newcastle Emerging Artist Prize, Newcastle Art Space, Newcastle
- 2010 Artists and Spaces, Honours Exhibition, University Gallery, Newcastle.
- 2009-2010 Finalist, Newcastle Emerging Artist Prize, NAS, Newcastle. (3D)
- 2009 Mistletoe Acquisitive Sculpture Prize, Watt space Gallery, Newcastle.
- Local Connections-Newcastle university campus
- Mistletoe Winery Sculpture Garden, Pokolbin NSW
- The University of Newcastle Art Collection